The Skamania School District recognizes the valuable contribution made to the total school program through the volunteer assistance of parents and other citizens. Please read the information below so you will better understand what your responsibilities will and will not include.
- Set a good example of positive citizenship and affirming behaviors.
- Serve in the capacity of helpers and not be assigned to roles which require specific professional training. Volunteers are assisting school personnel and not supplanting regular educational work of school personnel.
- Refrain from discussing the performance or actions of a student except with appropriate school personnel such as the student’s teacher, counselor, coach or administrator.
- Refer to a regular staff member for final solution of any student problem, which arises, whether of an instructional, medical or operational nature.
- Receive such information as:
- General job responsibilities and limitations.
- Information about building facilities, routines and procedures.
- Work schedules and place of work.
- Expected relationship to the regular staff.
- Be provided appropriate volunteer training at the building level, if new volunteers, consistent with their tasks and existing district standards,
- Not divulge confidential information to which he/she may come in contact within the classroom or building.
Volunteers may have their services denied or terminated for the following reasons:
- Failure to satisfactorily pass required Washington State Patrol and/or other such safety clearance procedures.
- Program and/or duties completed
- Resignation of the volunteer
- Replacement of the volunteer
- Circumstances, which in the judgment of the administration, may necessitate asking the volunteer to terminate services.
Examples of suggested duties for volunteers include:
- Bulletin boards
- Preparation of materials for art, science, math, etc.
- Light clerical duties
- Clean-up activities
- Library related duties
- Instructional activities appropriate to the volunteer’s training and to classroom needs such as monitoring assignments, listening to oral reading, etc.
- Vision and hearing screening
- School activities supervision
- Assisting in athletics under the supervision of head coach