Local School Wellness Policy – Physical Activity and Nutrition
Skamania School District is committed to providing a school environment that promotes and protects children’s health, well-being, and ability to learn thru supporting healthy eating and physical activity.
Therefore, it is the policy of the District that it will:
- engage students, parents, teachers, food service professionals, health professionals, and any interested community members in developing, implementing, monitoring, and reviewing districtwide nutrition and physical activity policies.
- encourage all students in grades K-8 to be physically active on a regular basis.
- follow U.S. Dietary Guidelines for Americans nutrition recommendations for all foods and beverages sold or served at school.
- provide students with access to a variety of affordable, nutritious, and appealing foods that meet the health and nutrition needs of students; accommodate the religious, ethnic, and cultural diversity of the student body in meal planning; and provide a clean, safe, and pleasant setting for meals and adequate time for students to eat.
- participate, to the extent possible, in available federal school meal programs, and ensure that that guidelines for reimbursable school meals are not less restrictive than the regulations and guidance issued by the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) on the National School lunch Program and School Breakfast Program.
- provide nutrition education and physical education to foster lifelong habits of healthy eating and physical activity, and promote linkages between health education, school meal programs, and with related community services.