Dear Skamania School Families,
The beginning of the 2021-2022 school year is quickly approaching! I hope you have been enjoying the summer and have taken some time to rest and relax to be ready for the new school year. Our staff is looking forward to welcoming students back to class!
In this letter are some important updates for the new school year with more information to come over the next few weeks. We are excited to open the school after our construction and modernization project this summer, which is so close to being done!
We currently have two positions open on our staff: A Kitchen Manager/Cook and a Teaching Assistant. Please visit the Job Openings page on our website for more information and to submit your application if you or someone you know is interested.
- Our cook moved out of the area over the summer and we hope to find qualified candidates ASAP. However, if we are not able to find a replacement or substitute prior to the first day of class, we may need to start school without food services. If that is the case, students would need to bring their own lunches. I will keep you updated and hopefully we will find a qualified candidate.
Back to School Event – Save the Date
Our PTO is hoping to hold a Back to School BBQ on Tuesday, September 7, 2021, (the first day of school) in the early evening. Please put a hold on your calendar, as more information will be coming soon.
If you haven’t already joined the Skamania School PTO Facebook page, please do so. You can find important updates and photos throughout the year.
First Day of School
The first day of school for all students will be Tuesday, September 7, 2021. Classes begin at 8:00 a.m. and end at 2:30 p.m. However, our first day and every Wednesday will be early release days with dismissal at 12:30 p.m.
Please also see the school website for more information regarding:
- The full school year calendar for 2021-2022.
- School Meal Program information and menus.
- The School Supply Lists will be updated soon and can be found under the “About” tab. If you need assistance with purchasing supplies, please contact the school office.
- Bus Schedules will be posted on the Transportation page by September 3rd . Please email Amber Warren with an update of your transportation needs at firstname.lastname@example.org by August 31st.
- All students must have medically verified immunization records or a valid exemption on file with the school on or by the first day of classes. More information on the requirements can be found here.
- Any students who are new to Skamania must be enrolled at the school to attend class. Enrollment/registration information, links and a downloadable packet can be found on the homepage.
New Teaching Model
This year we will begin our new teaching model, where teachers in 3rd through 8th grade will teach a specialty area/subject across all grade bands. We chose this model as a result of staff interest after looking at our enrollment where our younger classes are growing and we have lower numbers in our intermediate grades. Our younger students will be with the same teacher all day.
We will also have slightly different classrooms/grade bands:
- Preschool and transitional kindergarten – Darla Davidson
- Transitional kindergarten and kindergarten – Tami Gilbert
- First/Second Grade – Emily Hopple
- Third/Fourth Grade (homeroom) – Cherri Locke
- Fourth/Fifth Grade (homeroom) – Katie Chavarria
- Classroom will be shared with Denisha Dilley
- Sixth/Seventh/Eighth Grade (homeroom) – Shelly Carlton
- Specialty classes:
- Math (3rd- 8th grade) – Shelly Carlton
- Language Arts (3rd – 5th grade) – Katie Chavarria
- Language Arts (6th – 8th grade) – Denisha Dilley
- Science/Social Studies (3rd – 4th grade) – Denisha Dilley
- Science/Social Studies (4th – 8th grade) – Cherri Locke
- PE (preschool – 8th grade) – Cherri Locke
- Music (preschool – 8th grade) – Jeannette Hodapp
- Special Education/Title 1 – Denisha Dilley
- Reading intervention support (Title 1/LAP) – Katie Chavarria
- Counselor – TBD
Stay tuned for additional information in the coming weeks.
Please contact the school office whenever you have questions or concerns regarding your child’s educational experience. The safety, comfort, and academic achievements of all of our students are very important. I will be sending another note this week regarding COVID health and safety updates
Dr. Ralph Pruitt, Superintendent/Principal