Skamania School has a new board member in position #5 and will continue to accept applications for position #3 and position #4 through January 5, 2022.
The process of board appointment is outlined below and is consistent with applicable RCWs (RCW 28A.343.370: Vacancies).
Skamania School Board Positions
Position #1 – Angus Anderson
Position #2 – Beth De Simone
Position # 3 – Open position – Applications being accepted through 1/5/22
Position # 4 – Open position – Applications being accepted through 1/5/22
Position # 5 – Donald Collins – Reappointed 12/14/21 following candidate interviews
September 20, 2021
- Bob Holland submitted his resignation from the board and moved out of the area. As is consistent with standard processes and procedures, the opening was posted for two weeks and displayed publicly on the school website and posted in the local newspaper, with a closing date of October 13, 2021.
October 18, 2021 – School Board Meeting
- Bob Holland’s resignation was acknowledged and announced at the school board meeting. Mr. Holland’s resignation occurred too late to take his name off the November ballot. Subsequently, the community voted Mr. Holland into the position even though he was no longer eligible to serve on the board due to his relocation.
- The publicly posted school board position #5 received one applicant, Donald Collins. He was interviewed and appointed by the board by a majority vote to fill the position #5 opening. This is consistent with standard protocols and applicable RCW 28A.343.370: Vacancies.
December 14, 2021 – Educational Service District Board Meeting – Board meeting appointment
- After consultation with legal counsel, and to ensure abundant transparency in the process, Skamania School made the decision to seek an official appointment process of a board member to ensure that a majority of the legally established board members was in place for Skamania School District.
- At least three seated board members are required to select a new board member and according to Washington State statute, when this is not the case for a local school district, the local educational service district (ESD) must be involved as a third party to interview and appoint candidates. There was a special request by Skamania School Board Member, Beth DeSimone, to include Nicole LaVoie in the ESD interview and reappointment process. Ms. LaVoie did not submit an application for the position #5 opening but was a write-in candidate in the November election. The ESD entertained Ms. DeSimone’s request and interviewed both Ms. LaVoie and Mr. Collins on Tuesday, December 14, 2021. The ESD Board then unanimously voted to appoint Mr. Collins to the Skamania School Board. He will be sworn in at the December 16 special meeting.