Dear Skamania Students and Families:
I hope this letter finds you safe and well. Students, I miss seeing your faces at school!
This has been a strange couple of weeks, and I’m sure you may be missing your routine, just as I am. Encouragingly, hearing from the Skamania teachers via our online chats has been inspiring, and I trust they are serving you well academically. How can a school counselor help? I can offer resources to assist with social/emotional learning at home. Here are a few (free!) online ones that I’ve found*:
Elementary and Middle School resources:
- Mind Yeti– free online mindfulness videos, for ages PK-5th grade, available on Spotify and Youtube
- Mind Up online videos: free videos about the parts of the brain, and how they work together to help students regulate emotions, ages K-8, depending on video
- Mind Up reading lists: some libraries will allow you to check out books and read online. If you need help getting a library card, please let me know. For ages PK-8, depending on book.
- Mindfulness app for elementary, middle school, and up (offering a free 2 week trial right now)
- Article about teenagers and mental health during a pandemic
- Article and suggestions about Brain Breaks during online work
I’d like to know how else I can help in addition to online social/emotional resources. If you have any questions, comments, or suggestions, please feel free to reach out to me via email, firstname.lastname@example.org. I hope to connect with parents and students alike.
*If you’d prefer a paper copy, please email me, and I will try to find a suitable alternative.
More updates soon. Stay well and take care,