Dear Skamania Parents,
Here is a brief school update including important COVID information.
The Washington State Department of Health released guidance for K-12 schools in the 2021-22 school year. Skamania School District is carefully reviewing the guidance and will collaborate with local health officials about guidance implementation. We understand that families need to know what to expect in the coming school year, and we will share information on Skamania School District’s plans with our school community as soon as possible. Please note, the state announced that they will continue to require all students and staff to wear face coverings, regardless of vaccination status, in Washington K-12 schools this fall. This is a legal requirement from the state that schools must follow. Local school districts do not have the ability to implement less restrictive requirements.
We have listened to parent feedback and are prioritizing in-person learning with all required health and safety measures. Therefore, we will be offering a full-time, in-person learning experience for all students. The 2021–22 school year may look a little different with masks and other continuing health mitigation strategies; however, we are thrilled that we can safely provide in-person learning.
- The modernization construction is well under way with new roofing, heating/cooling, carpeting, painting, etc.
- We are fortunate to partner with Head Start and will be offering preschool for 3 year olds. See our webpage and/or call Head Start for more information.
- We will also have a school nurse on site one day a week.
- We have an open teacher assistant position (elementary literacy tutor). See our website at this https://skamaniaschooldistrict.org/jobs/ for more information.
- Our office hours for the summer due to construction are from 8 am-2 pm beginning August 24. The office is temporarily located in one of our portables.
- The first day of school is Wednesday, September 7, 2021.
I hope that you have a relaxing and safe summer. I will have additional updates as we get closer to the start of school.
Dr. Ralph Pruitt, Superintendent