Dear Skamania School families,
First off, I would like to say how thankful I am for our staff and for each of our amazing students. We have all had to work together this year, more than ever before, to keep each other safe, to learn and grow, and to enjoy our time together. Thank you!
As we dive deeper into November and approach the holiday season, I want to make sure you are aware of the following dates. This information is also on our school calendar.
- Friday, November 12 is an early release for students.
- Wednesday, November 24, through Friday, November 26, there will be no school for students, and our building will be closed for the Thanksgiving holiday.
- Monday, December 6, will be an early release for students and the end of the first trimester. Progress reports will be mailed approximately a week later.
- Friday, December 17, will be our last day of school before winter break. The building will be closed from December 20-31.
- Classes resume Monday, January 3, 2022.
For your information, I will be on medical leave beginning Wednesday, November 17, and will return after winter break. This is the surgery that I was originally scheduled to have last spring. Jerry Lewis, retired superintendent from White Salmon Valley School District, will be covering for me. We will also have our administrative intern, Vickei Hrdina, on site a couple of days a week. As you may know, she has been working with me this year as part of her administrative certification and is very familiar with the workings of our school.
I hope you and your children are able to enjoy the time off during the Thanksgiving break. It’s been a tough couple of years, and we’re not out of it yet. I hope you will be able to take the time to rest and rejuvenate. I know I’m looking forward to time with family and reading for pleasure!
Skamania County is still seeing a high number of COVID cases in addition to the general cold and flu season. As you plan your holiday celebrations, please keep this in mind. Celebrate safely, and be mindful if you travel or have others visiting you. We want to continue keeping our students and staff safe while at school, so please make sure to keep your child home if they are sick.
I am so grateful for each and every one of you.
Dr. Ralph Pruitt