Dear Skamania School families,
As September ends, I want to give you an update on what’s been happening since the start of school and our plans for the fall.
New Staff Joining Skamania’s Team
Please join me in giving a warm welcome to the following new staff members who have joined the Skamania team in the last few weeks:
- Head Cook: Serena Glaeser is getting things ready to restart the food service program within the next month.
- Office Assistant: Nicole Olsen-Yott is also subbing for Amber while she is out.
- Para and Health Assistant: Heather Gray
- Counselor: Chris Selcer
- Long term substitute for Katie Chavarria: Stephanie Ober is already spending time familiarizing herself with students and the classroom.
It has been so good to have students and staff back in person. We are enjoying the updates that were made to the building over the summer and know they will be even more appreciated as the year progresses!
On Wednesday, we received the final delivery of our new furniture and are now getting items situated. We are getting closer to checking off all the remaining items, so stay tuned for more information about an open house for the new building and a kick off celebration of the school year.
- Friday, October 8: Teacher Development Day – no school for students.
- November 8-12: Early Release for Parent Conferences.
- November 11: Veterans Day – no school and the building will be closed.
- November 24-26: Thanksgiving Holiday, no school and the building will be closed.
Health and Safety
Thank you for all that you are doing to keep our students and staff healthy and safe at school. While we are starting to see a plateau in new positive cases, there are still a very high number of total cases in our community.
Thank you for wearing masks while at the school. Please continue to ensure that your child(ren) wear masks when in public, wash his/her hands frequently, and stay home when sick. As an added safety measure at school, all staff members also wear masks, complete a health attestation and temperature check upon arrival to the building each day, and ensure additional hand washing with students throughout the day.
Please remember to reference the COVID-19 Student Symptom Flow Chart before sending your child to school if they are experiencing symptoms or are considered a close contact of someone who has tested positive for COVID. Please let the office know immediately if your child tests positive for COVID-19.
Dr. Ralph Pruitt, Superintendent/Principal